Thursday, August 14, 2014

My Backyard Chickens

August 14, 2014

A few years ago, I bought six chicks from TSC in Northern Kentucky on impulse for an Easter present for the kids.  One chick drowned in the water.  The other five became young adults.  Then I had two die from heatstroke.  They were rather large and the coop was in direct sunlight because it was early spring and I was trying to keep them warm.  I know a lot more about raising chickens now then when I first got them.  So then we were down to three-two hens and a rooster.  Well, my rooster and hen ran away together to the field next door.  I like to think that they lived a long and happy chicken life. This left us with one sweet black chicken.  When she died about three years later, I decided to take a break from chickens.
My husband asked me one day if I wanted to get some more chickens.  I thought, sure why not, but at the time TSC was past its "chick" days.  A woman I worked with had two children.  Her son started raising chickens as a 4-H project.  He raised petite cochin bantams.  I bought three for $10, thus my love for chickens was renewed.  This time two of them grew to adulthood.  The rooster and the hen got together and I thought it might be kind of fun to hatch some eggs.
So after doing some research, I learned that after a rooster and hen "mate" the hen will lay fertilized eggs for the next two weeks.  I gathered six eggs.  We successfully hatched 5/6 eggs on May 5, 2014.
Here are the parents and the babies.  The babies are now 11 weeks old.  I gave one rooster and my prettiest hen to one of my best friends and kept the other three babies plus mama hen.  Mama Hen belongs to my niece so I can't get rid of her.
I had so much fun hatching these babies that I decided to hatch an Easter Egger Bantam--cutest thing ever.  He/She is two weeks old now and belongs to my 2 year old nephew.
I have seven more eggs in the incubator. As of candling them yesterday--there are definitely two very active babies.  Can't wait until they hatch--they were part of a mixed dozen plus four more of my own partridge petite cochins.
Hatched May 14, 2013


Black Regeant-now lives happily with the Amish

Mama Hen:  AKA: Elizabeth

Hatched May 5, 2014



My Easter Egger Bantam!
Hatched on July 29, 2014

Taking a ride on the dump truck!


No comments:

Post a Comment